Friday, January 30, 2009

Polyp Free!

I am so happy that my uterus is polyp free! YEAH! The surgery went well. I woke up the morning of surgery with an excruciating sinus headache! Oh my goodness! I could not take anything for it, so I just had to suffer. So really, I could not focus on any anxiety regarding the surgery because all of my strength was drained from the headache. Maybe that was a good thing.

Tony and I arrived at the hospital around 10:40. My mom was there waiting for us. They called me to the back roughly 15 minutes later. I changed into the surgery garb, which included a metallic looking shower cap. I know I looked completely ridiculous, but that was the last thing on my mind. It seemed like I was in the little room for such a long time waiting for a nurse or someone to come. I started to think they had forgotten about me, and I probably would have called someone if it weren't for my head throbbing so intensely. I just kept rubbing my head and praying for the pain to go away. The nurse and anesthesiologist finally came and explained a few things to me, which I can not remember because I was so focused on my headache and wondering when they were going to let my husband and mom come back with me. The nurse hooked the IV up and typed a few things into the computer, then she called my family back. Oh, she also dimmed the lights and gave me some pain medication, which helped the headache tremendously. I talked to my family for a while, and then the OR nurses came for me. So, I kissed my family goodbye, the nurse gave me some meds in my IV and they rolled me off.

I remember being rolled down the hall and a nurse said "sweet dreams" to me. I remember entering the OR and having the nurses put a blanket over me. I remember them putting a gas mask on my face, and then I was out like a light. The next thing I remember was awaking to my doctor calling my name repeatedly. As soon as I opened my eyes, I felt excruciating pain.....all I could say was, "CRAMPS.....CRAMPS.....CRAMPS", and then tears started rolling down my cheeks. It was hurting so badly. Oh my goodness. The doctor and nurse asked me not to cry and said they would give me more medicine, which they did because the pain subsided after a few minutes. I kept drifting in and out for what seemed like only a few moments, but I was told it was roughly an hour. Then, they took me to Phase II of the recovery, where I was given graham crackers and ginger ale. I tell you, I was soooooo hungry those crackers tasted like steak and potatoes. Seriously, they were the best graham crackers I have ever had! They gave me some more pain meds, and my doctor came and told me the poly was gone! She said the surgery was a success and it was all over! HOOOORRRRAAAAAYYYYY!!!

I came home and I have been in a fog for the past few days, which is why I am just updating my blog. The effects of the anesthesia, along with the Tylenol with codeine that I have been taking for the pain has caused me to feel dizzy, nauseous, and just "not there" completely, so I have been out of work since my surgery. I will return on Monday. I have pretty much been sleeping the entire time. My honey stayed home with me also. He is such a wonderful husband. I would not trade him for anything in this world! I am starting to feel better, although I do not feel 100% like myself yet. I am just happy that this part of the journey is over. Now, I am looking forward to the next phase....my big fat positive pregnancy test! I am so excited, I can hardly stand it!

No comments:

Post a Comment